1451. A growing glimmer of light and hope…

God is in the hearts of all,
and they that seek
shall surely find Him
when they need Him most.
~Louisa May Alcott

James and I both loved the Oncologist, Dr. Pham. She explained everything so well and then based on the info below gave me two options for further treatment. I realize this is far more than any of you would want to know, but I didn’t know any other way to tell you of the findings and recommendations of the oncologist, and my choice of treatment.

Characteristics of my Cancer:
1) Stage; 1A
2) Grade: 2 on a scale of 1-3
3) Estrogen and Progesterone Receptors: ER+ PR-
4) Rate my cancer grows on a scale of 0% to a 100%: 5-10% (low)
5) Her-2-Neu: +

**Cancers that are ER+ may or may NOT benefit from chemotherapy

Option 1: low dose chemo + antibodies that target the Her-2-neu (this would require a port and the chemo would be injected once a week for 12 weeks and the antibodies would go on every 3 weeks after that for the rest of a year. Some side effects would be fatigue, infection, hair loss, etc. Possibility of clots from inserted port.

Option 2: Endocrine therapy: 1 pill once a day for 5 years. Possible side effects: Menopausal symptoms

As for the nodules in my lungs she is 90% sure there is no cancer there but she will obtain my results from 2012, when they were first noticed while I was having a stroke and compare them with the results from last week’s PET Scan. This may take about 2 weeks. If at that time she sees something worrisome which she does not expect to find, she will do a biopsy. In the mean time, I am NOT to worry or even think about it.

Important things we had to consider when making the decision about which option to choose: my age, my health issues, my exercise regimen, and especially the fact that it was stage 1A cancer, my estrogen reception is ER+, and that the cancer’s growth rate was only 5-10% aggressive. Option 1 would lower the risk of the cancer repeating to 5%. Option 2 would lower it to 20%. Option 1 would further compromise an already altered quality of life situation. Option 2 would probably not.

So, James and I agreed to go now with Option 2 knowing that I will continue to be closely monitored and can go with Option 1 at anytime it becomes imperative or simply a better option.

Again thanks for all the prayers, well wishes, and healing thoughts. They DO make a difference. Love, Natalie

**The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. ~Excerpt from Zephaniah 3:17 ✝